Acne is an inflammatory skin condition that causes spots and, in the worst cases, cyst-like swellings under the surface of the skin. It can affect adolescents and adults and can appear on the face, neck, shoulders and back. It can have crippling effects on a person’s confidence, so don’t allow it to take over your life.
• Get your condition looked at as early as possible. Effective early acne treatment can get the condition under control and prevent scarring.
• Consider your options and persevere. If antibiotic or other acne treatments fail to have an impact, then consider laser treatment.
• Make sure you use skincare products that are gentle and do not strip your skin of its natural moisture.
• Pick or squeeze the spots. This can force infection deeper into the skin or cause pus to leak into surrounding tissues, which can lead to tissue loss and permanent scarring.
• Give up and live with your scars. Their appearance can be greatly improved with microdermabrasion.
• Cut out particular foods. While a healthy and balanced diet will ensure your skin gets the nutrients it needs, there is no proven benefit to excluding chocolate or fatty foods.